Review of 2017 Fair
Review on 2017 China Beijing International Fair for Trade in Services
2017 Fair, with the theme of Openness, Innovation and Integration, promotes the development of Service Industry and Trade in Services, actively connects itself with the successful Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation, focuses on six key service areas including science, technology, internet, information, culture and education, features cultural subjects including cultural innovation, copyright exchange and intangible cultural heritages, and technological service subjects including trade in technologies, technological innovation and service outsourcing. This session covers an exhibition area of 50,000 square meters and 85 forums and trading activities, attracting 72,000 businessmen from 96 countries and regions. With successful outcomes and distinctive highlights, this fair plays an positive role in deepening international cooperation of trade in services, promoting global liberalization of trade in services, serving the Belt and Road Initiative, coordinating the development of Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei Province, boosting the expansion and opening-up of service industry, and contributing to building Beijing as a cultural center, international exchange center and technological innovation center.241 cooperation projects were signed at 2017 fair with US72.18 billion intention contract volume, among which 55 international projects with US13.73 billion accounted for 20% of the total and 99 intention contracts between Chinese provinces and cities with US15.03 billion represented another 20%.
2017 fair actively propels the Belt and Road trade in services with the participation of businessmen from 33 countries and regions alongside the Belt & Road. In Asia, Europe and Africa, 23 countries and regions along the Belt & Road, including Thailand, Switzerland and South Africa, have held series of exhibitions and fairs to promote their advantageous service sectors, projects and investment climate, which contribute to the open cooperation for the Belt & Road Initiative. As stated by Mr Zhang Gong, Executive Deputy Mayor of The People’s Government of Beijing Municipality, the implementation of the Belt & Road Initiative and coordinated development strategy for Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei province have lent great impetus on service industry and trade in services, and Beijing will deepen service industry cooperation focusing on the Belt & Road initiative. In this session, Sichuan thematic activities, featuring China (Sichuan) Pilot Free Trade Zone and Chengdu International Railway Service Co., Ltd, invited national representatives, enterprises and persons in charge of relevant business associations from countries along the Belt & Road including Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon and Nepal to carry out exchanges and networking activities. More than 10 conferences including the Belt & Road Economic and Trade Cooperation Conference 2017 and the Belt & Road Forum for China-Russia Cities Cooperation probed into the new opportunities brought by the development of Belt & Road trade in services. Cultural departments from 16 central and eastern European countries took part in the 2nd China and Central and Eastern European Countries Cultural and Creative Industry Forum 2017 and signed 11 agreements on cultural cooperation. At the keynote forum, Mr Jin Liqun, president of AIIB, stated that the Belt & Road Initiative has brought new opportunities to the global service industry and trade in services, promoted the connectivity between infrastructures, and will further propel the development of trade in goods and services.
The 2017 fair embodied an even higher internationalization level that can be found in the quantity, quality and achievements of the global participation. 7 major international economic organizations and institutes including WTO, 63 foreign organizations and 30 embassies in China were present at the 2017 CIFTIS. 42 countries and regions held exhibitions and conferences. 150 representatives of relevant international organizations, business associations and foreign countries and regions including Ms. Mari Kiviniemi, Deputy Secretary-General of OECD, Mr. Hamid Mamdouh, Director of Trade in Services Division of WTO, Ms. Mina Mashayekhi, special representatives of UNCTAD and Ms. Aicha Pouye, Director of Division of Market Development of ITC were present at the keynote forum. Representatives from WTO, UNCTAD and ITC had thorough participated in China (Beijing) E-Commerce Conference, Beijing International Forum on Creative Economy and other activities. The Executive Vice Minister of the Ministry of National Health Services, Regulation and Coordination of Pakistan and the State Secretary of the Ministry of Culture of Romania attended relevant thematic activities. 30 foreign ambassadors and counsellors to China including Lithuania, Bahamas and Tanzania were present at national thematic promotional programs. Brazil, which has been present at CIFTIS for 4 sessions in a row, reached 7 cooperation agreements on cross-border e-commerce, big data and other emerging service industries with Shanghai, Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region and other provinces, regions and cities. When it comes to TCM service industry, Beijing and Barcelona have reached a consensus on TCM cooperation to establish the first EU TCM medical centre in Barcelona, give the first TCM prescription in Europe and inject new impetus into TCM internationalization development.
The 2017 CIFTIS is also featured by innovation, digitalization and interaction. Both online and off-line auctions of intellectual property rights were conducted for the first time. 31 of 35 auction items including international film and television broadcasting rights were closed to a deal with a total volume of 330 million RMB. Thanks to business matching activities for intellectual properties financing, the aircraft financing and leasing project would be implemented in Beijing Tianzhu Free Trade Zone. China E-Sports League-City Finals were brought in this event for the first time, attracting nearly 100 e-sports team with professional e-sports pavilions of panoramic simulation, which contributed to the national e-sports fiesta. Digital animation programs were held for the first time with onsite preliminary and final of cosplay. In cultural innovation section, 3D animation, artificial snow curtain, CNC puppets, holographic imaging theatre and other CNC technological outcomes showcased new experiences of technological innovation. Under the theme of Memory & Inheritance, the pavilion of Beijing time-honoured brands gathered more than 20 time-honoured enterprises including Tongrentang, Rongbaozhai and Neiliansheng. By making Zongzi, restoring old pictures and Beijing embroidery shows, exhibitors and visitors were attracted to experience the charm and traditional culture of time-honoured brands. In addition, QR codes were broadly applied in this session for promotion and transactions. Nearly half of the total exhibitors set up QR codes for interactions and purchasing. And the emerging QR code-based shared services such as shared power banks, shared bicycles and shared car renting have been the highlights of the 2017 CIFTIS.
2017 fair showcased a stronger brand effect. E-commerce, express services, sports services and TCM services have been brand programs of CIFTIS with increasingly stronger attraction and influences. Focusing on New Supply, New Service and New Driving Forces, the 2017 China (Beijing) E-Commerce Conference attracted industrial elites, emerging talents of e-commerce and startups to explore new opportunities of e-commerce development. More than 1,000 businessmen were present making the scale of this event much larger than expectation. China Express Association consecutively hosted thematic activities on express for 5 years. In this session, CEA organized SF Express, STO Express, ZTO Express, Yunda Express, COFCO Fulimen Company, Harbin Pharmaceutical Group and other upstream and downstream enterprises to attend the 2017 fair, making efforts to connect and extend relevant industrial chains and build an ecological industrial circle. During the session, more than 10 projects including the cooperation between CEA and China Packaging Federation and Yunda Express’ expansion in European and North American markets were signed with a total volume of over one hundred billion RMB. 2017 Beijing International Trade in Sports Services Development Conferences invited International Luge Federation, Global Ice Group USA, JD Group, Beijing Sport University and other industrial, academic and research institutes and investors of sports from home and abroad, reaching 25 cooperation projects with US750 million dollars. 2017 Chinese Overseas TCM Conference attracted over 40 overseas Chinese, accelerating the overseas expansion of TCM.
In the meantime, selection activities for demonstrative service cases were continued as usual. Through expert review and online publicity, 40 demonstrative cases in 5 areas including IBM, Tencent.com JD Group and Letv.com were selected to showcase their leading roles in technological innovation, model innovation and crossover services.
A series of industrial regulations were published in 2017 fair. China Sports Venue Association published the first construction standards for e-sports venues. International Standard Chinese-English-Hungarian Basic Nomenclature of Chinese Medicine was published in TCM health program. Industrial white books, purple books, blue books, China E-Commerce Report 2016, 10 Black Technologies That Influence the Future of E-Commerce, Report on Beijing Commercial Service Industry Development 2016, Blue Book on China Performing and Arts Market were published in thematic programs including convention and exhibition service, e-commerce, commercial service, digital entertainment, cultural innovation and express service.
2017 fair has yielded fruitful outcomes. The CIFTIS Organizing Committee had released nearly 600 project demands on official website and mobile apps before the convening of the session to carry out preliminary trade matching. 76 promotion activities were held during the session to facilitate signing contracts through demands releasing, projects road shows, supply-demand matching and other methods. The technological innovation section put forward 120 new technologies projects in 6 areas including IT, energy conservation and environmental protection and bio-pharmaceutical, facilitating relevant business matching and the application of high-quality technological outcomes in markets. In convention and exhibition service section, business matching and business talks were organized, 8 intentional cooperation projects including exhibition operation, convention and exhibition training and the introduction and cooperation of exhibition projects being concluded. Story Drive Conference organized renowned enterprises related to copyrights from the UK, Germany, France, Austria and India to attend over 50 copyright business negotiation activities to facilitate international copyright exchanges.
2. Injecting new impetus into the supply-side structural reform of the service industry
(1) It has met the diversified demands on services. New service patterns including healthcare, sports service and cultural education are put forward promoting the quality of “Internet + Life”, “Internet + Care for the Aged” and “Internet + Education”; new service models like scientific service, designing service and express service are developed to drive the productive service industries of research & development, design and logistics to develop into the high end of value chain, giving impetus to the transforming and upgrading of real economy.
(2) It facilitated the mutual promotion of trade in services and trade in goods, which will greatly boost the trade in goods between China and Russia; a cooperative agreement has been signed by Brazil Asia Business & Culture Exchange Center and Jiangsu Digital Eagle Technology Development Co., Ltd to co-fund UAV factories in Brazil, helping China’s drones go global.
(3) It generated new standards for the industry’s development. Seventeen sector index reports and standards like have been released in 11 fields like mass innovation & entrepreneurship, convention & exhibition service and smart city, seizing the initiative for the internationalized and standardized development of our service industry.
3. Leading the new normal of the service industry
(1) New service models are shared. A model that service can be changed into micro shares at the forum on service innovation and entrepreneurship established an effective resource matching platform for entrepreneurs who are in need for funds, techniques or management; CASIC shared a new business model for civilian use in terms of industrial internet, aerospace cloud network and astronautically technology.
(2) New service technologies are presented. In the sector of smart city, 83 famed companies from other countries and regions including Germany, America and Russia are attracted and bring us with new technologies and service in smart city development; Qinghua Happiness Technology Lab shows 6 incubating projects including cognitive competence training and system for analysis of cerebral potentials, helping the newest researching achievements in psychology get into the public attention.
(3) New ideas and trends are spread. Eight industrial conferences including the 2016 China (Beijing) E-Conference Conference and Financial Street Forum spread new ideas and concepts in e-commerce and financial service. Famous companies like Carrefour, Amazon and JD.com shared their ideas on the development trends in hotspot areas like cross-border e-commerce, rural e-commerce and e-commerce in communities.
4. Active measures are made to explore new ways to achieve cross-boundary integration.
(1) It promoted the integration among various sectors. Cooperative agreements have been achieved between China Postal Express & Logistics Company, China Heavy Duty Truck Group Co., Ltd and Haier Group, SF Express, Huawei Group and Xiaomi Group, ZTO Express and Sichuan Changhong Group respectively to delivery components and parts directly to manufacturing shops, facilitating the deep cooperation between companies of service industry and companies of manufacturing industries.
(2) It promoted the interaction and integration among various sectors. Translator Association of China together with Capital Intellectual Property Services Association and Beijing Association of Sourcing Service signed cooperative agreements, providing professional service for companies in terms of language service, property right service and information service with joint efforts.
(3) It facilitated the cooperation among different regions. Beijing Administration of Traditional Chinese Medicine has achieved cooperative agreements with related institutions of other countries including Spain, Egypt and the Republic of Cyprus, which boosted the international development of TCM. Designing Industry Alliance in Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei Region attracted more companies to join and fuel the coordinated innovation of the designing industry in the three regions with concerted efforts. Zhejiang Province, as the first guest of honour in CIFTIS, highlighted the promotion of its best service fields like culture and tourism and achieved fruitful results represented by the successful contract signing of holding MIPTV in Hangzhou.